The New Year will soon be upon us. The articles about New Year’s Resolutions have already started to pop up. Not many holidays to look forward to and everyone is talking about losing weight and getting back in shape.
Very few of us keep New Year’s Resolutions so my advice is just to eat healthy, get a little exercise and focus on your business and how to improve it. Start with your website and you may find some very easy fixes that have important returns.
- Update your navigation menus. When your page comes up, is your navigation upfront and easy to maneuver through? Do all your pages still exist? Does your navigation work successfully for mobile devices?
- Update your content. This may give you the biggest bang for your buck. This is a great time to report year-end results, announce new offerings, and start your marketing plan for the new year. Stagnant content is deadly.
- Take a good look at the style and design of your site. Did you create a new logo, and forget to update your website to reflect the same styles and colors? Websites are like people. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
- Can your potential clients find you? Last week I received my new telephone books. I rarely use them. I throw them in the closet and there they stay until the new books come out next year. Most people go directly to the internet to find phone numbers, directions and email addresses. Does your website make it easy for clients to contact you?
- Are you still using Flash? Do you know how many of your clients use MAC’s or iPhones? Are you aware there are other slick ways to present content to everyone, regardless of the type of device they use? If not, it is time to rediscover your options.
- Are you making the best use of social media? Many people know it’s out there, but do not know how to use it to their advantage. Is your social media integrated with your website?
- Does your entire website look old and tired? Maybe it’s time to bite the bullet and hire a designer to revamp your entire site. A new year, a new look and new results may be the real solution you are looking for.
Take advantage of this time to leverage your technology to improve your business. It might just be the one resolution you can actually keep.